POSITION SUMMARY :
The Physician Assistant of the substance abuse treatment program works as a member of the multi-disciplinary team which is under the leadership of the Program Director, and provides holistic and comprehensive medical services to participants. The Physician Assistant provides medication management services to clients and assists clinical staff members in the development of therapeutic treatment plans and skills for providing services to persons with substance use and co-occurring mental disorders.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide medical evaluations to program participants to assess the severity of substance use disorder.
- Provide ongoing healthcare to participants as appropriate to the need of the program participants and their treatment plans.
- Prescribe and monitor addiction medication.
- Provide individual problem counseling for medical condition.
- Provide medication management, by reviewing agency Medication Log book to ensure that medication administration procedures are conducted accurately and effectively logged.
- Ensure that clinical staff adhere to provisions of agency’s ‘Medication Administration and Disposal’ procedures.
- Conduct frequent check of medication secured in locked cabinets and refrigerator to ensure the accuracy of amount of medication being logged to prevent loss control and/or misuse.
- Participate in case conferences on clients who refuse to self-administer prescribed medication and schedule them for reevaluation.
- Provide input on the development of medical care and substance use disorder treatment recovery plans; attending case conferences as appropriate.
- Makes referrals for appropriate internal and external mental health services.
- Provide consultation to clinical staff as appropriate or as directed.
- Provide interface and follow up links with other medical facilities and providers.
- Discuss with and/or otherwise provide instructions to clinical staff on various counseling techniques, theory and studies for developing diverse therapeutic techniques for dual diagnoses population.
- Promptly (immediately after each session)utilize the web-based AWARDS Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system to document sessions, recommendations for treatment so that they can easily be shared with treatment providers, billing staff and other appropriate personnel.
- Working knowledge of the part 822/819 APG categories for documentation, billing, reporting; use of encounter forms and AWARDS for medical assessment, assessments with counseling, medication prescribing, and medication management.
- Various other duties as specified by the Medical Director
Location/Region: Staten Island, NY (US - 10302)