POSITION SUMMARY: Under general direction of the Police Chief and Lieutenants, Officers are responsible for the general public safety of Oskaloosa residents and visitors, protecting life and property against violence, disorder, or oppression, and providing educational programs to the public. Duties may include: city-wide patrol activities, enforcing traffic laws, conducting investigations of suspected criminal activity; conducting interviews and interrogations; obtaining and executing search warrants; preparing case reports; testifying in court or administrative hearings; assisting with medical emergencies; arresting subjects for violations of criminal codes and court orders; recording and securing evidence in the evidence room; initiating control of incidents, using the Incident Command System (ICS) as required by National Incident Management (NIMS) protocols; transporting inmates; performing funeral escorts; assisting the public with locked vehicles; participating in training; presenting informational programs to businesses; meeting with school officials; and related duties as required.
EQUIPMENT USED: N/A Patrol cars and other motorized vehicles, radios, hand-held radios, batons or similar equipment, handcuffs, chemical munitions, hand guns, shot guns, rifles, less-lethal shot guns, tasers, flashlights, rubber gloves, telephones, typewrites, computers, preliminary breath test machines, datamaster, binoculars, electronic optical equipment, automated external defibrillators, dash cameras, body cameras, breaching tools or similar equipment.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
- Performs essential patrol activities to include: answering calls for service, investigating traffic accidents, enforcing traffic laws, and assisting the fire department and ambulance service.
- Conduct investigations of suspected criminal activity, conduct interviews and interrogations, develops and persistently pursues investigative leads, files criminal charges, and makes arrests.
- Prepare case reports and other paperwork relating to arrests, investigations, traffic violations, traffic accidents, and reported crimes.
- Records and secures evidence in the evidence room to include: logging, packaging, determining if evidence needs to be sent for laboratory processing and analysis, and filling out required paperwork.
- Obtaining and executing search warrants to include: completing search warrant plan, search warrant threat assessment, acting as a team leader, overseeing search teams, directing evidence procurement and photography, and or assisting as a member of the team.
- Assist with medical emergencies, evaluate patient, provide first responder services, and calls for ambulance services. Transport inmates to jail, hospital, or court.
- Performs funeral escorts by controlling traffic and developing safe routes for the procession.
- Implement a variety of crime and drug prevention programs to include: preparing materials and presenting information on drug programs, robbery, and crime prevention programs; and meeting with school officials in order to deal with truancy problems, drug and alcohol abuse problems, sex abuse issues, drop outs, and violence programs.
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures.
- Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows City-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning personal conduct, as outlined in the City of Oskaloosa Employee Handbook
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS:
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.)
- Ability to work under extremely stressful situations, day and night, which result from emergencies, including the responsibility for remaining calm and carrying out all duties with the recognition of the threat to life and property.
- Ability to work within a command structure requiring strict adherences to the following of orders.
- Ability to work in a team environment (and independently) under extremely stressful situations.
- Ability to learn and correctly apply department policies and procedures.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and follow simple oral and written instructions; and to understand and apply available guidelines to varied operational requirements.
REQUIRED SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Valid Iowa driver license.
- Must meet residency requirement to live within twenty-five (25) miles of the Oskaloosa corporate limits within ninety (90) days after being hired. Officers will be required to obtain:
- Certification as a Police Officer
- State firearms permit
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation Certification
- ASP baton
- Standardized Field Sobriety Tests
- Works in office environment.
- Works outdoors in extreme heat, extreme cold, humid and wet conditions.
- Work in and around moving vehicles.
- Potential exposure to noise, vibrations, fire, chemical agents, hazardous substances, poor ventilation, sharp objects, cluttered areas, poor lighting, fumes, odors, dust, smoke, infectious agents, blood borne pathogens, and gases.
- Expected to wear protective vests.
- Must perform and maintain any or all of the following physical requirements at any given time. Continuous visual effort, depth perception, color vision, hearing, and speaking.
- Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, driving, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to pass all of the elements of the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy Council PreEmployment Physical Standards Test and must meet the physical examination requirements established by the Municipal Fire and Police Retirement System of Iowa (MFPRSI).
- May be subjected to personal injury, physical violence, fumes, odors, dusts, poor ventilation, blood, body fluids, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, work space restrictions, intense noises and travel.
- Very Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able to speak clearly at normal rate of conversation with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Regular and dependable attendance during assigned work schedule hours.
Location/Region: Oskaloosa, IA (52577)