Required qualifications, skills, and/or experience:
- Passion for education reform and hunger for feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree required (ALL majors accepted and encouraged; an education major or minor is NOT required).
- Strong basic high school math skills.
- Prior paid or volunteer experience with students is helpful.
- Prior coaching, tutoring or teaching experience is helpful.
- Peace Corps and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply; those who are looking for a meaningful gap-year opportunity or those who are looking for a ramp-up opportunity into education.
SAGA Fellows earn pay for every hour worked. In Chicago, Fellows earn $13.68 per hour and work a 37.5 hour workweek, with an extra half-hour per day allotted for lunch. Those who work a full school year, plus training, will earn approximately $19,500 for the service term. Over 10 months, Fellows receive 40 hours of sick leave and 15 hours of personal leave (7.5 per semester). Fellows do not work on federal holidays, during school vacations, or on snow days. Sick leave, personal leave, federal holidays, and school vacation days total about 30 days off by the end of June. Health and dental benefits are available to those who need access. In addition, every SAGA Fellow receives intensive on-site professional development and training on effective instructional techniques and student behavior management. There is a genuine opportunity for advancement within the organization after the program ends in June.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Non-Discrimination Policy
SAGA Innovations, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal laws. The organization complies with applicable local, state, and federal laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which SAGA has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, compensation, training, and leaves of absence. SAGA Innovations does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any of kind, including but not limited to, these protected classes. We are counting on everyone, individually and collectively, to give this policy positive and constructive support.