Receive training and assist in all phases of fire and safety equipment and alarm systems, maintenance and repair. Inspect, recharge and repair (fixed and portable) fire suppression equipment per recognized standards. Install, replace and/or relocate fire suppression equipment per nationally recognized standards. Survey University facilities to determine proper locations for extinguishers, hoses, alarm devices and/or other equipment. Test, inspect and maintain fire alarm, security and supervisory systems. Test, inspect and maintain fire doors, emergency door alarms, fire dampers, standpipe hose, etc. Overtime is necessary. May be required to carry a pager. Subject to 24-hour call back.
- High school diploma/GED.
- Two years experience with inspection, maintenance; and/or repair of fire and safety equipment; alarm systems and/or sprinkler systems.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Good organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Mechanical background working with electrical and hand tools.
- Ability to lift and carry 25 to 50 lbs. frequently, and up to 60 lbs. occasionally.
- A valid US or Canadian driver’s license.
- Knowledge of various types of fire extinguishers and their requirements for testing and/or recharging.
- Purdue will not sponsor an employment related visa for this position.
- This posting represents two vacancies.
- A Background Check will be required for employment in this position.
- ALL applicants must apply via Purdue’s on-line recruitment system. No other applications/resumes will be accepted.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt (Eligible for Overtime).
- Retirement Eligibility: PERF/Non-exempt Defined Contribution Plan.
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Internal ID: 1800205
Location/Region: Lafayette, IN (US)