Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Glass Technologies segment manufactures chemically strengthened cover glass, such as Gorilla® Glass® for the consumer electronics market and glass substrates for active matrix liquid crystal displays (“LCDs”) that are used primarily in LCD televisions, notebook computers and flat panel desktop monitors.
Purpose of Position:
The Corning Glass Technologies Melting and Forming (CGT M/F) Engineering Portfolio Manager is responsible for day to day management of the Engineering Portfolio process and content for the CGT Glass Melt/Form Engineering group. This includes ensuring the accuracy and timely updating of the portfolio of projects, the forecasting process, monthly cost analysis and reporting, management of the cost share process, and maintenance of master engineering resource lists.
• Own the portfolio process including development and forecasting, as well as portfolio tool management for CGT M/F Engineering
• Lead the process to build the Greenbook & Blackbook portfolios for CGT M/F Engineering
o Own and maintain the Share Point tool for building future budget portfolio o Maintain charge rates, department Id’s, cost share %, etc.
o Work closely with Display Engineering and Development groups • Work with division finance and other CGT Engineering portfolio groups to calculate and set the engineering charge-out rates
• Co-lead or support the yearly engineering portfolio review meeting with Display & Gorilla
o Work with engineering leadership to set the agenda
o Review all DE presentations to ensure content, quality, and timing
o Coordinate logistics with Mfg. COS and admins in Asia for related meetings with Mfg.
• Review and ensure project PI sheets are complete and pertinent to DE priorities
• Own the yearly Portfolio Valuation process (5 year payback analysis on portfolio)
• Work closely with Display Eng. Portfolio manager to lead the Cost-Share process for CGT M/F engineering.
o Projects, % share, and business to include
o Obtain buy-off from engineering leadership and Finance across CGT
• Support Ad-hoc analysis as needed (T/E spending, FTE analysis, etc)
• Support Innovation Excellence and other project management
• Participate in the business technology strategy process as needed
Key Decision Areas
• Recommendations and proposals regarding appropriate spending levels across the portfolio to communicate with leadership
• Define and implement methods to improve technology portfolio decisions, processes, and tools including for project managers
• Manage the portfolio review process with engineering and business leadership 4. Supervisory Responsibilities
• Supervise a portfolio analyst who carries out the following activities:
• eTad database maintenance
• Monthly Reporting, Analysis & Issue Tracking: Etads, Spending/forecast, Asia invoices, issues, department spending
• Planview forecast tool maintenance: Budget inputs, rate maintenance, forecasting/PVE training for project managers
Education and Skills:
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or other technical field.
- Financial savvy and data analysis abilities.
- Strong Project Management skills.
- Understanding of and experience with flat glass or related business.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels in writing and in person.
- Ability to interact on a frequent basis with our finance analysts and leaders, division engineering staff and project managers.
- Comfortable to discuss and understand technology projects
- Supervisory skills
- Experience with cost analysis and cost modeling functions strongly preferred
- Prior experience working with Asian markets and business partners preferred
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Location/Region: Corning, NY (US)