OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln’s promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The VAMC in Memphis, TN consists of one main campus located at 1030 Jefferson Avenue, which includes a 60-bed Spinal Cord Injury Unit, and ten community based outpatient clinics (CBOC). It is a tertiary care facility classified as a Clinical Referral Level I Facility and one of the most complex medical centers in the VA system. It is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology, as well as extensive education and research programs. Comprehensive primary, secondary, and tertiary health care is provided in areas of medicine, general cardiovascular and neurological surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, spinal cord injury, neurology, oncology, dentistry, and geriatrics. Specialized outpatient services are provided through general, specialty, and subspecialty outpatient clinics including a women’s health center. Services are available to more than 206,000 Veterans living in a 53-county tri-state area (Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi).
Learn more about this agency Responsibilities
This position is located in Dental Service at the Memphis VAMC in Memphis, Tennessee. As the Administrative Officer of Dental Service, you will perform administrative work in budget and financial management, personnel management/administration, internal control, logistics, strategic planning, and general administration. Below are listings of additional duties not to exclude from others:
- Performs administrative work in budget and financial management; personnel management/administration; procurement and contracting; property management; and supplies management.
- Supervises all nonprofessional staff assigned and develops schedules to distribute staff and accomplish tasks in all areas.
- Develops and revises service or station policies to reflect current practice.
- Provides informal feedback and periodically evaluates employee performance
- Serves as primary liaison with the Human Resources Management Office.
- Manages civilian personnel actions, allocations, and utilization.
- Manages personnel/manpower management, contracting, financial management, logistic/supply management, operations, and other related administrative functions.
- Researches, develops and implements management procedures to facilitate cost saving and efficiency of clinical and administrative operations.
- Acts as the Dental Service’s Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR), who provides technical direction, clarification and guidance.
: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 PM Position Description Title/PD
#: Administrative Officer #50308-0 Virtual
: This not a virtual position. Relocation/Recruitment Incentives
: Not Authorized
Supervisory status Yes Conditions of Employment You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job Designated and/or random drug testing may be required Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959 You may be required to serve a probationary period Subject to background/security investigation
Physical Requirements: The regular and recurring work of the position involves sitting at a desk, conferences, meetings, etc., and occasional visits to activity worksites. Occasional use of automobile and public conveyances may be required. No physical exertion is required.
Qualifications To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 02/21/2018. Time-In-Grade Requirement
: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-09 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-07. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. .
You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below:
- Specialized Experience: Applicants must have one (1) year equivalent to the next lower grade (GS-7), with responsibilities close to the work of this position that has given me the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform the duties of an Administrative Officer. Example: applying analytical and evaluative techniques to gather and analyze data/costs for use in problem solving, reports, budget preparation, compliance with accrediting agencies, training needs, etc and utilizing management theories and principles, practices, methods and techniques, administrative and personnel practices, and procedures common to the organization.
- EDUCATION: Applicants may substitute education for the experience required for the GS-09 level. Master’s or equivalent graduate degree OR 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such degree OR LL.B. or J.D., if related. Education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. (Transcripts Required) OR
- COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: Must possess an equivalent combination of Education and Specialized Experience as described for the GS-09 above to qualify. (Transcripts Required)
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
- Administration and Management
- Computer Skills
- Financial Management
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Note
: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment. Education
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Location/Region: Memphis, TN (US)